keskiviikko 30. toukokuuta 2012

Sources of plant-based protein

What are proteins?


Protein chain

Proteins are large, complex molecules that are made of hundreds or thousands of smaller units called amino acids. These amino acids are linked together to form protein chains in different combinations. Proteins play many critical roles in our body; they maintain and foster the growth of our cells, make antibodies and hormones, and help regulate our fluid and electrolyte balance.

There are 23 different amino acids, fifteen of them our bodies can manufacture on their own and eight of them must come from our diet alone.

My sources of protein

I felt like writing about plant-based proteins, since I feel like these nutritious sources of amino acids are not always in people's mind when talking about protein. That's where I get all my essential amino acids from. The list of the good plant-based sources is long, so I'm just going to focus on the ones that are included in my top4.

Greens and vegetables
Compared to calories to protein content, per one hundred calories, broccoli has 11,2g or protein, as compared with steak, which only has 5,4g. Good other sources of protein are spinach, romaine lettuce, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and asparagus.

Nuts and seeds
The protein in nuts and seeds lacks one essential amino acid called lysine, which can be found in legumes and animal products. They contain a lot of nutrients in relation to their calories. They are rich in flavonoids and fiber, and a great source of energy. My favorite nuts and seeds are brazil nuts, pine nuts and almonds and I eat them as a snack or use them in salads.

Hemp
The protein found in hemp is similar to protein found in human body. It is complete protein which means it contains all the essential amino acids. It is a great source of fiber and contains all the essential fatty acids, provides antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and chlorophyll. The hemp protein I take (The golden bag in the picture) contains 50% of protein. I take it in my smoothies or with fruits but you can also drink it with water or soy milk.

Fitline pro shape amino
Contains all the amino acids for life. It is a supplement that only includes plant-based protein without artificial flavors, preservatives or sugar. I would not necessarily need a protein supplement but for anyone who does this is a Great option!

There are also legumes, beans and grains that play an important role in my protein intake. 



Tomorrow I will post two of my favorite recipes that are rich in protein and fiber and taste DELICIOUS!
-E-



2 kommenttia:

  1. tää sun blogi on ehkä paras ikinä!! tänään sun inspiroimana menin käymää ruohonjuuressa ja rakastuin aaah! oot ihana!

    VastaaPoista
  2. aaaaaww ihana!!! hyva jos mun hopinat kiinnostaa! ja ruohonjuuri on niin super kiva kauppa!

    VastaaPoista